Sunday, 18 November 2018

‘STUPID ACT’ | Four homes shot in public place shooting at Bonnyrigg

‘STUPID ACT’ | Four homes shot in public place shooting at Bonnyrigg
23 Aug

Fairfield Local Area Commander, Detective Superintendent Peter Lennon has asked for public assistance for what he described as a “stupid act” in regards to a public place shooting that occurred in Bonnyrigg on Tuesday night, in which four homes were shot.

About 8.30pm (Tuesday, August 21), several shots were fired into four different homes on Katinka Street, Bonnyrigg. Three of these homes are neighbouring to each other.

There was also a parked vehicle which was shot which has been seized for forensic examination. A number of bullets struck fences and another into a window that went into a backyard. It is believed six shots were fired in total.

Police believe one of the homes, which is known to police, was the main target of the offenders. The occupants are cooperating with police.

All the residences were occupied at the time, however nobody was injured in the incident.

It is unknown at this stage if it was a drive-by shooting.

“We’re appealing for anyone with information. People might have something on their dashcam…or they have some information about something suspicious happening on Tuesday night,” Detective Superintendent Lennon said.

“We are asking for anyone that might have been driving in that area if they saw or heard anything suspicious to come forward.

“We’re very lucky no one was injured. This is a stupid act by someone. I can’t understand why someone would do something so stupid.

“We believe this was targeted at a particular address in the usually quiet Katinka Street.

“I’m very confident we will get to the bottom of why this occurred and make some arrests in a very short time.”

Police from Fairfield Police Area Command were notified of the incident about 5.30pm yesterday (Wednesday, August 22).

Crime scenes were established at the four homes which continue to be forensically examined. Police commenced their crime scene investigation last night and are continuing this morning, including speaking to residents. They are following a number of lines of inquiry they are investigating.

When asked why there was a delay in contacting police, Detective Superintendent Lennon said: “We’re not exactly sure why it took 20 hours to come forward…maybe they heard a noise and didn’t think anything of it until they had a look in the daylight. It wasn’t even the people in the targeted house that approached us. It was other occupants in the street.”

  • Anyone with information about this incident is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.



« »


Related Articles